Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Thought on Sisters

Sisters are mean. I have two sisters who I love dearly - now. However, we butted heads more often than not in our younger years. I was on both sides of bullying, stealing, name-calling, tattling, sabotage. Sisterhood is a funny thing. We hate each other with great love. And then we grow up. 
“Sisters annoy, interfere, criticize. Indulge in monumental sulks, in huffs, in snide remarks. Borrow. Break. Monopolize the bathroom. Are always underfoot. But if catastrophe should strike, sisters are there. Defending you against all comers.” - Pam Brown
Suddenly, you realize that your fights growing up were hilarious and made for an amazing, story filled childhood. Stories like:
  • That time my sister told me that my grandfather's medicine was bubble gum. Of course, she wanted me to try it first… I spent the rest of the day hugging the toilet.
  • Me: I want to come visit your high school to see what it will be like next year :)  My Older Sister: [Runs off crying]  Me: What? What'd I say… (And then she decided to switch high schools the next year. I am sure it wasn't because I was going to attend her previous high school. )
  • Middle School - High School my older sister would lock her door when she left the house so I couldn't borrow any of her clothes. :(
  • She also accused me of stretching out her clothes that I found a way to steal borrow. How rude!
  • Remember land lines? Do people still have those? Well, my older sister used to answer and pretend she was me when my friends called. So mean.
  • Speaking of mean - My friends and older classmates at my school were deathly afraid of my older sister. I didn't get it, but I kind of loved that I could just say "I'm Malone's little sister" and people would leave me be.
These are all stories of my older sister, Malone. It's her birthday today :) There are about a million more stories I could tell about our torturous reign one my little sister, but that's a post for another day. 

Happy Birthday, Malone!

Anybody have any interesting older sibling stories or were you the bullying big sis?
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I was the perfect older sister, I looked after your mom and protected her from others. It's not my fault that no one protected her from me--really, Probably the worst thing I did was give her muddy water and tell it was chocolate milk--or maybe it was convincing her to eat a three day old McDonald's hamburger from the glove box of our car. Or maybe it was my insistence that she was adopted (although as we grew up that thought might have been attractive to her).Worst thing she did to me--wearing clothes I had ironed for me to wear,"borrowing" my makeup, or well--let's just say it involved a duck and too much water and a developmental lack of understanding of the permanence of death..Sisters are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes… the duckling story. But, I've never heard the hamburger story.


    The first thing that comes to mind - Why was there a hamburger in the glove box for 3 days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed these comments. I promise to tell the hamburger story soon. Yes, why WAS the hamburger in the glove compartment for 3 days?

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...