Tuesday, January 21, 2014

5 Unique Ways to Use Coconut Oil

I am obsessed with coconut oil. I really think that it might just be the cure to everything. Just kidding. Well, maybe. I have only used it a couple of ways, but I am willing to try all of the uses below (although I am highly skeptical about some of the claims - I'll keep you updated on my results).
5 Uses for Coconut Oil
Face Wash
Yes, I wash my face with coconut oil. I read about another blogger's skincare routine (wish I remembered where) and she raved about coconut oil as face wash. I had some in the pantry and ran out of face wash, so the only logical thing to do was try it. I'm hooked.

Oil Pulling
I just recently tried this one. Just recently being yesterday. Essentially, it's using coconut oil as mouthwash. You just swish oil around in your mouth like you would mouthwash for (ideally) 20 minutes. Not hating it so far. We'll see how I feel about this in a month.

Energy Booster
There are multiple claims on the internets about this one. The most common recommendation that I have read is to mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and ingest for a quick energy booster. One website even warns not to do this at night. Interesting. Looks like this tired momma will have to try this one in the morning.

Helps Avoid Sunburn
Not totally sold on this claim, but I'm willing to give it a try. It's actually recommended that you eat a balanced diet (including coconut oil) to see the full benefits, but coconut oil is also said to have an SPF or 4… couldn't hurt to try it. Coconut oil can also help prevent peeling after you get a sunburn.

Weight Loss
Would love it if this one was not a myth. Again, I'm skeptical, but willing to try it out - for the sake of science, of course. Miranda Kerr has even raved about coconut oil in the past. Now, I know she probably also has genetics + a personal chef + a trainer on her side, but… again, it's worth a try. 

There are endless possibilities of coconut oil uses it seems. My favorite everyday uses include cooking, using as lotion, and use as face wash. There are also a couple of kookier uses that I might try some day like use as a creamer substitute in coffee and a natural deodorant.

Do you use coconut oil? What's your favorite way to use it?


post signature

4 comments:

  1. I've used it as a hair conditioner….deep conditioner. Just apply it to your dry hair, leave it on and then shampoo. There my be alternative directions online. I liked the way it made my hair feel…..just took some time and was a little messy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I came to love coconut oil in the first place. :) I have't used it on my hair (It would take a lot of coconut oil), but Esther used it once & had a jar leftover that she left here when she moved. After is relieved Winsley's cradle cap, I was sold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not yet. I usually start swishing and walk around the house to make sure the doors are locked + lights are off. I doubt I've made it past 5 minutes… surely, it has the same effect, right?

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...