Monday, July 8, 2013

Our Weekend

Because I'm being a little lazy today and I'm working on a little side project at the moment, I'll let you see a few glimpses from our weekend. We celebrated the 4th of July with my in-laws and we, of course, had a mainly Korean meal with a few American additions (not pictured).
This spread is typical of most of the holidays I spend with my in-laws. It was a little strange to me at first (like the time my mother-in-law brought a rice cooker to a cookout), but I have gotten use to it.
Winsley spent a good bit of time traveling in style on the back of her Halmoni. This is the way that my mother-in-law carried her kids around when they were babies.
Meanwhile, I got to relax and enjoy a meal not cooked by me. This is Bibimbap served in a hot stone bowl. A great introduction into Korean food if you have never tried it.
And we had the most amazing few days with my grandmother. Her mind is not what it use to be and she is often confused by the present. This visit, however, she was exceptionally lucid and I loved every minute of her normal craziness.

Someday, I'll tell you all about my grandmother and her crazy comments - like when she told Ellington that she is lucky that she is so pretty because 'Pretty can get smart, but smart can't get pretty'. I could probably fill a book with funny comments like this, but that is a post for another day.

Hope everybody had a fantastic weekend with family or friends and took a little time to relax!

6 comments:

  1. Love this! The bibimbap looks delicious. My mom and my emos (aunties) all carried me around like that. Your kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda! The bibimbap was very delicious. This is a strange question, but do your kids call your aunts - emo halmoni (sp?) / como halmoni? This is what my in-laws want my girls to call the aunties and I think it's confusing my 2 year old. She either thinks that her Como is going to walk through the door or is confused by calling somebody else Halmoni. Either way, I'm sure my girls will get use to it... I was just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't live near any relatives so no they don't. I think that your kids will grow to understand the differences in cultures - calling someone a grandma or aunt has to do with being related but just as much to do with the closeness of your relationship and what you call someone is a way to show how much you appreciate them. All 2 year olds are figuring out language (whichever ones they're learning) and if they can be exposed to different ways of expressing things earlier it's a lot easier than trying to explain it later (like, as in, this reply!) I'd say do what feels right to you but in general, I find it's also best to get along with the in-laws no matter which culture you're in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys could totally do a book full of grandmother quotes. I love phone calls from Malone about your grandmother. As soon as I answer she says "I have to tell you the funniest thing my grandmother said" and I know instantly I'm going to die laughing and my day will be instantly better. By the way, that Korean dish looks insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true on all points. I definitely think it's harder for me to wrap my brain around than her. After all, my husband doesn't seem the least bit phased by the complicated (to me) way of naming his relatives. On another note - I guess I'll be signing myself up for Korean school when my daughter goes, so I won't be the only one speaking English at family functions :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe we'll start a twitter account...

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...