Friday, April 27, 2012

Not so Itsy-Bitsy Spider


This week has been filled with restless nights, trips to the doctor, and a black widow.  Yes, you read that correctly.  On Thursday, we had a little situation with a black widow spider. Eeek!  Ellington and I were on our way out of the house on a rainy Thursday and, as always, I had too many things to carry and not enough hands, so I put Elli in her carseat while I loaded up the car with my everyday baby items and coffee.  When I pick E back up to properly put on her raincoat, I noticed a HUGE spider right there in her seat... that's when I started to freak out just a little bit.

You see, I hate spiders!  Or really any insect that can crawl or fly.  Seriously.  If you come over after I have spotted a creepy crawler, you'll see a neatly placed solo cup over the bug just waiting for somebody else to come and remove it from my house.

I was convinced that this HUGE spider, that my daughter had just killed by sitting on it, was a black widow spider.  I ran inside and stripped Elli down to search for spider bites.  After finding nothing and reassuring my self that she probably wasn't bitten because she sat on the spider wearing a diaper and sweatpants, I got on the phone with the doctor instead of my first choice of 911.  The nurse on the other end of the line calmly gave me the symptoms of a spider bite and told me to keep monitoring her and call 911 if I saw any serious symptoms.  Thankfully, she had no symptoms the rest of the day.

Well, it looks like I was correct in my initial reaction because that bad boy was indeed a black widow spider as confirmed by the exterminator today.  Yes, I did keep the spider to show the exterminator.  And Yes, I know it's weird.  Thanks to a very friendly and knowledgable exterminator, we are now free & clear of spiders, silverfish, ticks, and mosquitos.  I could not be more excited!  

Enjoy a bug-free weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...