Friday, May 20, 2011

I am NOT a Cook...

...but I play one on blogland. haha. I crack myself up :) All kidding aside, I really am not a cook. I love baking, but cooking a main course is not my idea of relaxing. Maybe it's because you can lick the mixing bowl after making brownies, but not so much after making a marinade. Or maybe it's because I used to be a vegetarian, hate handling meat, and never really took the time to learn how to properly cook meat (I've always left it up to John to tell me whether or not the meat is fully cooked).

I am trying to conquer my weakness in the kitchen this year and I have been more than encouraged to do so by the hubby, who I think is getting sick of my four go-to recipes (common though, they are quick, easy & only have a few ingredients). That brings me to one of my big obstacles when cooking... I have a fear of too many ingredients. Duh Duh Dun

After many hints dropped by the hubby, I decided to try out a recipe for Chicken Marsala (found on my cousin's blog Everyday Champagne). After seeing all of the ingredients and the fact that you cook on the stove AND in the oven my inner voice was saying, "I can't do this. It's going to be way too hard. I'll mess it up. There are too many ingredients! It's going to cost too much money and waste too much time." I reluctantly decided to attempt the recipe and it turned out GREAT! Success at last! It was easy and I have gotten several requests for repeats. :) Thanks Abbey!

Follow the recipe below or visit Everyday Champagne for more easy recipes.

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Chicken (2 pieces of dark meat or 1 breast / person), skin-on & bone-in preferred
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
Cremini Mushrooms, halved
1 head of Garlic, peeled (I'm lazy, so I just used 5 teaspoons of minced garlic in the jar)
2 Tablespoons of Dried Tarragon leaves, minced (fresh or from a spice jar)
1 Tablespoon of Butter
1 cup Marsala Wine (found in the condiment isle, not with the wines)
Chicken Stock
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
1/3 cup of cream, half & half, or sour cream

*You'll also need an oven-proof skillet (or a skillet with 2 layers of tinfoil wrapped around the handle to protect it from the oven heat)*

Start Cooking:
1. Preheat Oven to 350
2. Season Chicken with Salt & Pepper
3. Sear Chicken in pan with a little Olive Oil until brown & crispy
4. Remove Chicken from pan & lower heat to medium
5. Add more Olive Oil, Onion, & Mushrooms. Stir and begin to brown.
6. Season with Salt & Pepper
7. Add Garlic & Tarragon (if using fresh, add at the end) & Butter
8. once veggies are browned & bottom of pan is dry, Add Marsala Wine & Stir
9. Bring to Boil, then Add Chicken (skin side up)
10. Add enough Chicken Stock to come up to the halfway point of meat
11. Add 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube & Bring to Boil
12. Place pan in oven, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes
13. Place pan on stove top and Remove Chicken & Mushrooms
14. Bring to Boil & Reduce Liquid by at least Half
15. Add Half & Half (or Sour Cream or Cream) & Tarragon (if using fresh)

Serve with your favorite Veggie & over Rice, Potatoes or something else that soaks up the yummy sauce. Enjoy :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. I am crying at the fact that I am just now seeing all this!!! Can we just blame it on nursing brain, please?!?! You are so sweet to try one of my recipes! And you did it waaayyy better than I ever did!!! I'm following you now and will possibly be stalking you. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey, this recipe has been a HUGE hit with my in-laws. They usually only eat Korean food, but they made a exception when I offered to cook. & they LOVED it! My sister-in-law even cooked it for her boyfriend's parents in Cali :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...