Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Little Sewing Project

My first sewing project was a success, sort of. In between the feeding and the burping and the spitting up and the cleaning up and the changing diapers, I found some time to complete a little sewing project. I am no sewer, but I think I did pretty alright for my first try.

Kogi kept watch over the rest of the house while Elli and I sat on the floor in her room to make this little pillowcase. All together, it probably took me three hours because I had to stop every 10 minutes to interact with the little lady and because I have almost no experience with a sewing machine.
The finished product is a bit wonky, but I did learn a few things for my next pillowcase project.
1) I need to figure out how to sew the pillow into the pillowcase. Maybe a zipper or overlapping panels on the back of the pillowcase? Any suggestions? I ended up sewing the opening together in a not so great looking attempt to finish the pillowcase.
2) The corners turned out a little pointy and I am not sure how to remedy that situation... a little research and I am sure the next pillow will be a masterpiece. :)

With the same fabric I used for the pillow, I previously made these neat fabric bookshelves. Next time, I'll probably choose to not make them as deep. I still have to paint the wooden rods, but I think they turned out great.

There is nothing I love more than a functional and inexpensive DIY project (except for a little girl named Ellington).

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...